Tuesday, January 30, 2007

persuasion, negotiation, rhetoric

While reading one of my many email newsletters (SciTech Daily), I fell upon a book review called "Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die". This had me go to my favorite book store, Amazon.com, where I ordered the audio CD for it. It's basically about making someone remember an idea and convincing them of something.

Later, when reading a Christian Books & Culture e-newsletter (ahhh, guided websurfing!), they were talking about a book called "How Faith Happens." I don't know what the book's about, but they described the author as also being a student of rhetoric.

I wasn't sure of what rhetoric is, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Guess what? It's a form of working to convince someone of something. On the brain, maybe?

---------------
1/31/07: additional link on the Made to Stick book, from Business Week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SciTech Daily and a Christian Newsletter are spewing the same rhetoric?

suzannejb8 said...

no, I don't suppose this particular Christian Newsletter would be in full agreement with the stuff that SciTech puts out, though the article that SciTech points to is from the Christian Science Monitor (another source of newsletters), funny enough. But the Monitor is a pretty well-respected news institution anymore (like Associated Press, it seems).