Saturday, October 07, 2006

Melbourne, FL

Well, it's looking more and more likely that we'll be moving to Florida (from Rochester, NY) at the end of this school year. The only thing that breaks my heart about it is knowing that it will break my son's heart. I'm confident that he will recover and thrive down there as much as he thrives up here. But at this emotional time, the thought of his recovery is not as much consolation as I'd like it to be. Fact is, his heart will be broken. And it will be my fault. How can a mom break her son's heart? Why should a mom cause her child to have to recover?

Regardless, I need to plan and learn as much about the area as possible. Here are some links I've found so far:

links on moving in general:

10/15/06 - re breaking heart - son seems like he's been thinking about it a lot, and noticing that changes are happening with lots of his friends. When I told him how I didn't want to break his heart, but that I was afraid that I would have to, he responded saying it would be hard, but I got the idea that he wouldn't feel completely heartbroken, even though he loves his life here (Roch).

11/29/06 - Over Thanksgiving we announced that it is quite likely that we are going. At some point since 10/15, son actually said that he was kind of excited about the idea. Now he's gone back to being really concerned about it and it's threatening to distract him from his schoolwork. :-(

4 comments:

Anita said...

I can see your blog now. Yeah!

What's your timeline for this move, Suzanne? I want to try to prepare myself . . .and William . .

suzannejb8 said...

we're looking at them moving after the school year (soccer tryouts immediately after - ughh - soccer season down there is Sept-May). I would move, alone, between 1/1 and 2/15. I am not happy about the separation.

Anita said...

Well, I'm glad that we'll have your son around to year end, but I feel for you moving alone! And I'll miss you!

Two of my good AC friends moving in one year - - very sad.

At any rate, I think it is nice that you are letting your son finish out the year. It will probably make it much easier on him (although not on you!).

Unknown said...

Suzanne,

I'm so sorry to hear that you and your family will be moving. I guess this means you will be working in Florida. I'll miss you, we'll miss you, we'll miss all of you.