Wednesday, December 28, 2005

unweaving the rainbow




This book is on the top of my bookstack today. I got it for Christmas from my sister, who found it on my Amazon.com wishlist.


It continually intrigues me that people from all walks of life have something like spirituality, and yet someone who is proclaimed atheist refuses to identify with that term. There is a sense of wonder at the world (and universe) that goes across any philosophical boundaries.


I'm just in the middle of the first chapter, but the author starts right from the beginning describing this wonder with a very spiritual flair.


Perhaps there is a need for some sort of translation glossary of philosophical terms that, when used, could help with philosophical discussions?

It makes me think of the prologue from this book. In it, there is a description of spiritual leaders from all world religions shuffling to a common goal, and yet they are all afraid of each other.

3 comments:

Anita said...

Please let us know if you recommend these! Both look quite interesting . . .

suzannejb8 said...

Oh, I DEFINITELY recommend This Believing World. I thought I had a review of it in my blog here somewhere, but can't seem to find it. I thought it was a great book, although I had to give it license for some biases the author had and read through them. It discussed a history of religion from cavepeople to the present, including Druids, Egyptions, Abramic, etc (not so much Eastern). I'd been looking for a book like this that discussed Islam. This book does it pretty well. Although the conclusion of the whole book leaves something to be desired. The reader can just read the prologue to get a conclusion, I suppose.

Anita said...

Thanks for letting me know! On to my way too long wish list it goes . . .